Loft extensions in Harlow
At A Star Lofts Limited, we offer loft extensions in Harlow and the surrounding areas. We understand that each loft conversion is different, and what one client will want for their home, will not be right for another. That’s why our skilled team of craftspeople work hard towards creating the right loft extension for you, your family’s needs and one that works with the layout of your own home.
Whether it’s a Velux, rear dormer, side dormer, hip-to-gable or mansard roof loft extension in Harlow that you’re considering, you’ve come to the right place. With over 15 years’ experience working on loft extensions, we can create and craft the extension that’s ideal for you. Our attention to detail, high standards and top quality work has resulted in countless 5* reviews, which you can check out here.
As members of the Federation of Master Builders, we are specialists in loft extensions in Harlow and our work is guaranteed for 10 years. Furthermore, we are happy to offer a free survey and quotation service, so if you are considering making an alteration to your home, then we will be happy to discuss your requirements with you. But first, if you’d like to know more about the type of loft extensions in Harlow that we offer, please read on…
Velux loft extensions
A Velux loft extension is the simplest of all loft conversions as it doesn’t require planning permission – this is because the roof line of your home stays the same.
Rear dormer loft extensions
A rear dormer loft extension can often be done without planning permission, yet they significantly increase the floor and headspace for you, which results in a loft area that has greater usability.
Side dormer loft extensions
Side dormer loft conversions are a good option for semi-detached homes with hip to sloping side roofs. They offer a certain amount of extra headspace inside.
Hip-to-gable loft extensions
This is a conversion that involves changing the sloping side of your home, and as a result, means internally there will be more headspace, your loft area will feel bigger even though it still retains the same footprint.
Mansard roof loft extensions
This is an ideal option if you live in a conservation area, or need to ensure certain planning permissions are adhered to. The roof angle is changed to 70-degrees, the exterior will match your existing roof and more headspace will be created inside.
To speak to one of our friendly team about your loft extension needs, then please don’t hesitate to get in touch with us today. We look forward to speaking with you.
An example of our checklist of project stages
- Erect scaffolding where required
- Create opening in roof for access (initial work completed from outside, minimising inconvenience – approx 3 – 4 weeks)
- Delivery of structural steel support beams for floor and dormer roof extension delivered and fitted
- Fitting of new floor joist, followed by first visit of building inspector to approve floor construction
- Building of dormer
- Completion of internal partitions of dormer, noggins and insulation
- Second visit from building inspection officer
- Completion of works on dormer by roofer, including roof tiles, guttering, etc.
- Erection of partitioning to loft and completion of nogging
- Insulation of all walls to meet building control regulations
- Fitting of windows
- Commencement of work on new staircase
- Electrical cabling for lights and power points positioned to your specification
- Fitting of staircase
- Completion of plaster boarding
- Finalisation of plastering on first floor, stairwell and loft area – approx 2 -3 days
- Fitting of lights and sockets
- Flooring choice established and fitted
- Installation of shower room fittings and connection of radiators
- Fitting of doorframes, doors hung and skirting fixed; handrails and spindles fitted to stairs
- Fireproofing checked
- Gutters checked
- Final inspection by building control officer for compliance with building and fire regulations
- Your loft conversion is now complete and ready for decoration